Hydra W3C Community Group Telecon

Minutes for 2019-04-30

  1. Advance the API examples and plan future actions
  2. Publishing Heracles.ts to NPM (organization scope or user)
  3. Next steps with Hydra Console prototype
  4. EntryPoint type in the resource
Karol Szczepański
Tomasz Pluskiewicz
Karol Szczepański, Tomasz Pluskiewicz, Angelo Valtens
Audio Log
Karol Szczepański: Meeting: Hydra W3C Community Group Conference Call
Tomasz Pluskiewicz is scribing.

Topic: Advance the API examples and plan future actions

Karol Szczepański: Tomasz, you proposed
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I propose that we maybe with every PR shall add a simple MD document with requirements or documentation [scribe assist by Karol Szczepański]
Karol Szczepański: aveltens: I like the idea, I'd introduce it with next changes
Angelo Veltens: I had this in mind. was thinking to add with next PR
Karol Szczepański: aveltens: next it wuld be to have some sort of a collection supporting operation to create and remove movies
Karol Szczepański: it sound similar to the cookbook
... I think it's redundant
Angelo Veltens: we could refer to the cookbook
Karol Szczepański: Karol_szczepansk: shall we have a cookbok documented using examples from the api-examples repo?
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: OK - lets have a cookbok document api-examples [scribe assist by Karol Szczepański]
Angelo Veltens: there are multiple ways to approach that
... we would have to mint custom class for collection, subclass of hydra:Collection
... the way I did it was to use only hydra identifiers and operation inline
... should be prefer one or another approach
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: we want the APIs to present different goals
Karol Szczepański: I think Angelo's problems is no direct way
... I think it's related to one of the spec issues PR #186, I think
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: we should have these discussion on the repo
Karol Szczepański: on the cookbook?
Angelo Veltens: I don't think it's a spec issue
.. what should I put in the cookbook
Karol Szczepański: the cookbook first
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I think we should go with the api first. and cookbook one we're happy with the resukt
Karol Szczepański: do we know?
Angelo Veltens: spec change would require cookbook first.
Karol Szczepański: but how will raw payload help understand the required spec change?
Angelo Veltens: what should the api example show?
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: all possible solutions
Karol Szczepański: in the example of subclassing collection, I would not recommend.
Angelo Veltens: I would not recommend it either. I did not use subclass because I want the client simple
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: you don't need subclassing. you can have multiple types.
Karol Szczepański: without a description it's not useful
... maybe we should do multiple PR, in both cookbook and examples
Angelo Veltens: I will prepare a PR in both repositories
Karol Szczepański: I will experiment with those approaches in the client and console
Angelo Veltens: the problem is client code. I tried Tomasz's client but there is a bug I opened
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I remember
... we should keep the solutions complete. test the API in real apps
Angelo Veltens: I see the new console shows some better result
... the old hydra console didn't work at all
... what I missed in the old client is showing some error messages
Karol Szczepański: yes, the new console doesn't have much error handling yet
Angelo Veltens: new comers will not use hydra if they don't have feed for errors
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I was thinking about a verification tool
Karol Szczepański: yes, I think we made a list of possible tools already when Ruben proposed a meeting
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: we should go with more simple features
Angelo Veltens: I think collections are core
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: hydra:Link is a more primitive building block
Angelo Veltens: what is it good for?
Karol Szczepański: I think you should follow you current needs
Angelo Veltens: the order does not have to be the same as it's written down in the cookbook
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I think these examples should be implemented in a way which could server a brand new server implementation
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I think we should try not to leak hydra abstractions in the descriptions
Angelo Veltens: I could try with Link but I need a use case
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: right. let's go with collections but focus on the functionality

Topic: Publishing Heracles.ts to NPM (organization scope or user)

Karol Szczepański: I want to publish the client to npm
... I created an organization but I don't know if it's possible to publish unde org
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I think it depends on the name
Karol Szczepański: should it be scoped?
Angelo Veltens: I like the scope
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: scoped makes sense
Karol Szczepański: should it be hydra or hydracg?

Topic: Next steps with Hydra Console prototype

Karol Szczepański: it's quite early. I tested it with some APIs
... it doesn't look awesome but clean
... I'd like a better UI
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: it is an SPA?
Karol Szczepański: Markus mentioned it should be possible to push to hydra-cg.com
Karol Szczepański: how should proceed?
Angelo Veltens: we should move it to hydra repositories if it's meant to be the official console
Karol Szczepański: the previous was on Markus' personal account
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: in the end it doesn't really matter

Topic: EntryPoint type in the resource

Karol Szczepański: what I found was angelo's movies and also old example api
... both of you provide a type for entrypoint and it resolves to non-hydra URL
... and neither api provides an entrypoint in the doc
Angelo Veltens: yes, I did not notice that
Angelo Veltens: entrypoint indeed, could be anything
... but what would be an entrypoint
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I think it can be anything, a collection of links