Hydra W3C Community Group Telecon

Minutes for 2019-01-14

Karol Szczepański: Meeting: Hydra W3C Community Group Conference Call
Karol Szczepański is scribing.

Topic: Talk about the possibility of writing a statement of mission (Statute) for a possible OS organisation.

lorenzo-tuned: beside activity of the development group, we may actually try to create an open source organization as a direct fcreation of the community group
lorenzo-tuned: to communicate to the public what is hydra etc.
lorenzo-tuned: list objectives would be a standard approach to start with
lorenzo-tuned: in context of Google Summer of Code, peapole are asking on how they can know more about hydra and the community
lorenzo-tuned: we would like to be more organized in a transparent manner
lorenzo-tuned: so we can interact with other actors in the field, like companies interested using the draft or contributors
lorenzo-tuned: the draft is linked on the agenda page
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I don't have anything to complain
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I'm a bit sceptical about some of the points of the draft
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I don't undestand the implications of going legal
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: we're community group under W3C
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: this should ha ve a meaning
lorenzo-tuned: that's why I've asked for collaboration
lorenzo-tuned: one of the reason, was we were asked by i.e. students or organizations
lorenzo-tuned: we could receive donations, i.e. from Google
lorenzo-tuned: based on the number of projects or students
lorenzo-tuned: Python-Hydra was entitled a donation from an organization
lorenzo-tuned: collecting these donations could contribute substantially to our activity
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: you say about student expenses or your expenses
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: related to hydra-ecosystem
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: if we receive any money, it would be put on hydra community group shoulders
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: currently, HydraCG runs on either free infrastructure or those maintained by Markus
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I don't feel any need to go that way
lorenzo-tuned: students asks me to present this position to the chair - why we can't use the money we could obtain
Karol Szczepański: we don't know possible responsibilities of such a OS organization
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: when money are on the table, it's another story
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: we didn't start organization to obtain money for my another activyt due to huge effort and legal implications
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I'd try asking Open API initiative for assistance or something
ACTION: lorenzo-tuned will prepare a brief of advantages or disadvantages of starting an organization, i.e. responsibilities or benefits or legal requirements known to him

Topic: Discuss relation between Hydra Core and TPF/LDF

Ruben Verborgh: a brief of the history
Ruben Verborgh: we've ben doing hypermedia driven apis for some time
Ruben Verborgh: we wan't a client smart enough to query another apis
Ruben Verborgh: it was Markus explaining I'd rather to have you within hydra to make it stronger
Ruben Verborgh: we've been publishing TPF specs under hydra since then
Ruben Verborgh: question: is there any point in having TPF under a hydra community group
Ruben Verborgh: we're interested in having extensions to hydra rather than to influence hydra with our specs
Ruben Verborgh: maybe we should discuss in person the future of the hypermedia
Karol Szczepański: there was no intention in dropping other specs from hydracg
mielvds: not sure on how many people are there
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: my suggestion is in force - to move TPF and other specs to separate github repos - this way the specs still can be under HydraCG with self-maintaining caopabilities of each team
Ruben Verborgh: this was an initial intention
Ruben Verborgh: it's a good start
Ruben Verborgh: as for the issues, a few were closed due to inactivity
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: as for the issues, a few were closed due to inactivity'
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: some of the issues may require hydra spec changes, but that's Ok, once we come to agreement on the details
Ruben Verborgh: I've been quite active at the beginning, later I've lost track due to various reasons
Ruben Verborgh: we would like to extend an open invitation to have all the people to have a disussion (in person or virtual) on the future of hypermedia
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I'd be happy to visit Ghent :)
ACTION: rubenverborgh will provide a brief agenta of that discussion
ACTION: migration of the TPF repos to separate one within HydraCG
Karol Szczepański: 16 issues closed, 1 is already reopened, there is an attempt to close 12 issues with minor specchanges, there are ongoing PRs
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: as for the automation to generate minutes, there is a PR with possible changes to be made to the process

Topic: Discuss open Pull Requests

Tomasz Pluskiewicz: reviews where never formalized
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: it was mostly Markus' show within the spec
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: I'd make it more strict to have more people reviewing
Ruben Verborgh: you can always assign me reviews
mielvds: same here
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: how was it in the past when it was driven by mailing list and not a github
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: was there always a call for agreement in the past?
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: call for consensus
Tomasz Pluskiewicz: we could send via mailing list a call for consensus pointing to PR's
ACTION: tpluskiewicz: describe on how to proceed with PR's